Citrus Meringue Pie
Prep Time: 1 hour cook time: 40 mins Servings: 8
- 4 large Progressive Farms Navel Oranges
- 3 large Progressive Farms Lemons
- ¾ cup white sugar, divided
- 5 tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1¼ cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold butter
- 3-5 tbsp ice cold water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. To make the pie crust, combine the flour and salt; cut in the cold butter until crumbly. Add in the water 1 tbsp at a time, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the chilled dough into a ⅛" thick circle. Transfer to a 9" pie pan and trim edges, leaving a ½" overhang. Fold the overhang under itself and pinch all around to make the crust edge. Line the inside of the crust with parchment paper and pour baking weights, dried beans, or uncooked rice into the lined crust.
- Bake until lightly browned, 18–20 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and weights; bake until golden brown for an additional 8–10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling, zest 2 oranges and 1 lemon and place in a medium saucepan. Juice until you have 1¼ cup orange juice and ½ cup lemon juice. Add the juice and ¼ cup sugar to the saucepan, set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ cup sugar and cornstarch. Add egg yolks and whisk continuously until lightened in color, about 3 minutes.
- Heat your saucepan until just simmering. Remove from heat and slowly add half of the warm juice into the egg yolk mixture while whisking continuously. Once well mixed and the sugar is dissolved, pour back into the saucepan while whisking over medium heat. Continue whisking for about a minute until the mixture thickens and begins to boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter until melted and combined.
- For the meringue, using a mixer, beat the egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Add sugar 1 tbsp at a time and beat on high. Continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Transfer the hot filling to the crust. Next, spread the meringue over the filling, sealing to the edge of the crust and swirling with the back of a spoon.
- Bake pie for 16–18 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on the wire rack for 1 hour and chill pie for 3 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Los Angeles5790 Peachtree St Los Angeles, CA 90040
Quincy903 A Street SEQuincy, WA 98848